World leading coatings manufacturer, Hempel’s new generation fire-protection coating – Hempafire Optima 500 – is specifically designed to improve the productivity of passive fire protection (PFP) coating applications. It achieves this by reducing the number of coats required and the process time required to apply them – saving time and costs.
Hempafire Optima 500 helps to maintain the stability of steel structures in large infrastructure buildings, such as airports, stadiums and commercial centres by delivering up to 180min protection against cellulosic fires, being optimised for 120min. It is a one component waterborne acrylic intumescent* coating with less than one per cent of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and can be used for both open or closed steel sections.
Hempafire Optima 500 is fast drying and highly resistant to sagging. The application which can be delivered in two days as part of Hempel’s PFP system, outperforms in warm conditions and provides two-hour fire protection in ISO 12944 C3 interior environments. It dries to an excellent aesthetic finish meaning there is minimum surface reworks to achieve the required cosmetic finish when applying a topcoat. The ease of application allows customers to improve their painting process by reducing the number of coats needed, minimising drying times and maximising the speed of the application.
Taken together, these properties save both time and money as projects can be completed faster and with lower total application costs.
Hempel’s Group Product Manager, Cellulosic PFP, Roger Soler, says: “When developing Hempafire Optima 500, we created a coating to enhance efficiency for customers by increasing their productivity and reducing costs. Thickness build-up of the coating can be achieved in less coats that dry faster. Thus, application costs and time to deliver are reduced. We also wanted a coating that outperforms in warm climates such as those found in the Middle East and in parts of Europe. We’ve managed to achieve this without compromising the protection or the aesthetic finish.
At 40ºC, it comfortably holds up 750μm dry film thickness (DFT) per coat, and can be overcoated in just three hours. For applications where speed is the key, coats of 500μm DFT can be applied every 75min and recoated with a PU topcoat after 16hr. This means that the whole system – primer, PFP, and topcoat - can be applied and dry to handle within a 48hr period.
Simply put, the job is completed faster and more efficiently with Hempafire Optima 500.”
Hempafire Optima 500 is now available in the Middle East and will soon be available in certain countries in Europe. For more information please contact your local Hempel office.
*An intumescent coating is a fire protecting coating that insulates the steel substrate from fire for a period of time
Hempafire Optima 500 at a glance:
- Waterborne intumescent PFP coating optimised for 120min protection against cellulosic fires.
- Independently tested and third party certified according to BS 476 20/21 standard
- Increased productivity by shorter drying times – projects can be completed and delivered faster.
- Fire Protection for 120 min and C3 interior Corrosion protection delivered in 48 hours.
- Can be applied up to 750 microns DFT in one coat, reducing the number of coats to apply and labour costs.
- Competitive loadings specially for sections commonly used in large civil infrastructure
- Reduced total project costs
- One solution for all projects and steel profiles including 3S hollow beams – simplifying the specification and application processes
- Environmentally compliant as has less than one per cent VOC content according to ISO 11890
- Quick and easy application – robust application in different ambient conditions
Hempel’s R&D Centre of Excellence
In November 2018, Hempel opened its doors to a new state-of-the-art Centre of Excellence in Barcelona, Spain. The centre’s focus is on the research and development of coating products within the field of passive fire protection (PFP) and Hempel is committed to increasing its product portfolio of PFP coatings. The new Centre of Excellence is staffed by teams of highly skilled technicians, applicators, fire testers and scientists who, together, are responsible for researching and delivering our range of trusted fire protection coatings.